Welcome to Cards by Amy K.

I am SO GLAD you stopped by to check out my blog!!! Here I will be posting my current projects for you to see. PLEASE feel free to leave me a comment. I would LOVE to hear what you think about what I'm working on. I have been a scrapbooker/paper crafter since I first caught wind of this wonderful hobby in 2006. I am lucky enough to get to spend my days doing something I love so much and which brings so much joy into my life. I first started scrapbooking as a way to pass the time as I found myself at home alone all day suddenly, now I can't imagine life without it. Too bad I don't get paid for it, then I really would have it all!!!







Saturday, November 20, 2010

This year's Christmas card? (maybe?)

I've been working on the design for what will be our Christmas card this year and this is one of the ideas that I've had so far. Now keep in mind that I've got to make almost 40 cards. Yep, 40. In the years past It's been 30 something but I'm quiet sure that it will be about 40 this year considering all the new friends that I've made online. I'm happy to make them every year. I love giving my handmade cards. I know you've heard me talk about this in the past but there are a few things that you must consider when you have to make multiples of a card. First, you must be mindful of the amount of supplies that you will need to complete many cards. If your design calls for an embellishment it must be one that is easily replicated. I like to keep it simple when designing these type cards. I like to use stamps because they don't run out and other supplies like ribbon and buttons and cricut cuts. I don't usually have to worry about not having enough of these supplies.

For this card that I've come up with, it uses mostly those type of supplies. There are a couple of things that I may change. For starters, the size of the card. This card is 5x7 and the problem with that is that when I went to purchase the Kraft card stock the only size I could find was 8.5x11. If I keep the card at the current size then I will only be able to get one card out of a piece of card stock. That's and important thing to consider. How much waste will making this many cards create? The other thing that I may change is the bow. As much as I like it and think it is an important element to the cards' design, it takes almost 12 inches of ribbon to make and if you do the math, that's 40 feet of ribbon! If I cant figure out how to make the bow with less ribbon then I will have to rethink using it. As far as the patterned paper goes, I'm not too concerned about all of the cards having the same one. I think that if you have a 12x12 stack that you like and want to make your cards from that It's fine to use different patterns. When you use one pad of paper they all usually have the same feel to them so they will probably all work with your design even if the pattern itself is different.

So, I hope this has helped you in making your own choices in making multiples of the same card. It's really not hard to make a lot cards once you get the first one done. After that first one it's all cake!
Hope you enjoy this card and have a happy Holiday season.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Amy & Brian!

    Love the card Amy,you can always try down sizing the card...lol Maybe use a thinner and smaller bow on the card. I love the vintage look you got going on with this card.

    ReplyDelete